[T3] Intermittent Cut out

Chris Sheridan csheridan at virtual-consulting.net
Mon Mar 21 13:04:57 PDT 2011

Hi All,
I replaced my generator on Saturday and the red light immediately went out.
I noticed a couple of things on the old generator that came out; it was very
used, one of the brushes was more than halfway down into the brush holder,
the DF connection was spotty where it connects to the generator.

I also replaced the fuel line at the return port on the right side of the
motor, where it was rubbing against the shroud, and fashioned a protector
from some used line, until I can get the rubber grommet.

While I was at it, I reinstalled the line from the fuel rail to the port
under the right side of the intake air distributor, which 12 years ago when
I bought the car from Dave Viselli, he told me to leave it
unconnected/plugged up, because when it was connected it would flood the
motor.

 I figured it was just superstition and hooked it all back up. First think I
noticed was that it ran smoother, not as choppy as usual. I let it run for 5
minutes when it suddenly cut out without warning. I ignored that and tried
driving it to work today and halfway up a long 2000 foot climb it started
sputtering and stalling out. This is a climb I make every morning with no
issues. I persisted, but immediately felt signs of the engine cutting out
and wanting to die, not at idle as usual, but under load. I pulled over and
disconnected the line and plugged it back up and and the rest of the trip
was uneventful.

I know that the Intake Air distributor has been replaced since I got the
car, so I'm guessing the issue is either with the bad component under the
IAD, or the brain itself (As Dave Implied back in 1999).  Any Thoughts on
this?

Thanks,

Chris

70 auto fastback