[T3] Wheel issues

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun May 22 07:20:04 PDT 2011

On 22 May 2011 at 1:06, James Lingenfelter wrote:

> I've got it working now with the studs and lug nuts/washers. All
> the VW bolts I've seen have either a conical or ball type seat on
> them, which just wouldn't work on these wheels.

Glad you solved your problem. I understand the system you're
describing, but I've never understood why it exists. I don't see how
it can possibly offer the same level of security that the conical and
ball style nuts/bolts have. I agree that I don't recall ever seeing
lug bolts with that head shape.

Mercedes has the best descriptive term for the VW style of lug bolts;
they call them "spherical collar bolts." Perfect

> I've had a brake drum  stripped out in the past by a tire shop that
> got over-zealous with  the impact wrench. In fact, now I prefer to
> just take the wheels in,  have them mount the tires, and put the
> wheels on myself; they impact  those things on so hard now I can
> hardly get them off by hand.

Amen to the impact wrench problem. In the past I've taken my torque
wrench with me when I get tires/wheels replaced. Some places are
willing to let me do the final tightening.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org