[T3] jim's correct distributor

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 24 20:24:48 PDT 2011

On 23 May 2011 at 18:08, Ken Main Mail wrote:

> Good I installed the short cap and correct rotor.  When I timed the motor
> the best I can get the marks I cannot go to the far left slash on the
> pulley.  The car wants to sputter, shake and die if I try.  It's on the
> third slash mark on the left.  You are right as I will work on that again.
> Cold start I have to press on pedal for more gas or it will stall.  Should I
> adjust the air mixture volume again to raise it up?  When I do that at warm
> engine the revs are much higher.  How about at right side the 3 wired in a
> plug to adjust throttle open up some more?

I've been reading this paragraph for a couple of days, and I'm still
not certain I understand what it means. Yes, you may have to change
the idle air adjustment if you change the timing. Yes, the final idle
air adjustment must be done with the engine fully warmed up.

I have no idea what the 3 pin plug might have to do with this
adjustment.

> What if I turn air mixture up at warm and again try to time the engine
> correctly at fourth notch at left 0 degree TDC?

Yes, time it to TDC, leftmost timing mark, and set the idle with the
timing there.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org