[T3] Front beam rebuild

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Wed May 25 20:27:25 PDT 2011

Adriel,

I got all the old grease out of my beam using a long bristle brush.  It
was one I use to clean out 5 gallon glass carboys for brewing beer.
Only a few bucks at a homebrew place; I won't reuse that one!  I think
the only way you'll get that grease out is with a solvent.  I used
gasoline in a rubbermaid tub.  Not really the safest or environmental
friendly route, but it worked without too much elbow grease and got it
really clean.

Not sure about the rubber rings, the top ones are just o-rings that are
available.  I think the bottom ones are the same as a bug.  I wouldn't
get replacement bottom seals from ISP, as the one's they sent me don't
have the metal ring inside them like the originals.  I found some better
ones elsewhere.  Be really careful if you remove the thrust plate that
has the 4 grooves cut into it.  The face is plastic and I cracked one on
my old beam that had a broken needle bearing.

-Brent