[T3] First run of spring

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun May 1 15:16:36 PDT 2011

My '73 square has been sitting in the driveway since the last time I
drove it, which was in February. At that time I had to recharge the
battery because it was cold and it had been sitting idle for about 4
months. This time it was warmer, about 50 F, and the warm weather
didn't require as much effort from the battery to turn the engine
over.

I held my priming switch down and ran the fuel pump for about 30
seconds, waiting for the gurguling in the gas tank to stop. Then
turned the key to START. The engine started instantly.

We've had quite a few days of rain, and the salt is all gone from the
roads, so I ran errands with it this afternoon. It ran great and
sounded happy. It's getting rusty, and it's got over 120 kmiles with
an untouched engine, but I guess it's still got a few more good years
in it.

I do need to pull the front wheels and rotors and clean off the rust
that is scraping against the brake backing plate. That's annoying,
but I've checked the pads and calipers and they are fine. So this is
just noise, with no serious problem behind it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org