[T3] Wiring?!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 9 06:08:19 PDT 2011

On 9 Oct 2011 at 7:46, John L. Morgan IV wrote:

> yanked out the radio (wasnt original) yesterday because it wasnt working.
> now, i have a problem.
>
> I have three wires, and I have no clue what is going on.

Did these 3 wires previously go to the now removed radio? If so, just
disconnect them at their other ends.

> *Wire 1=red*
> This wire is hot and is a direct power wire.  I followed it and it goes to
> the fuse panel to the wiper motor fuse (more on this later).

The direct power wire probably kept the digital clock alive in your
radio. You don't need it now.

> *Wire 2=red*
> Does nothing.  When I hook it up to the hot wire it powers nothing.

Well, it probably does something, you just haven't figured out what
yet. If it actually went to the old radio, just remove it now.

> *Wire 3=orange and white*
> When this is connected to Wire 1 (red) the fuel pump comes on and the oil
> and gen lights come on in the dash, like they do before you start the car
> and first turn the key.

This wire must come from the circuits that become hot when you turn
the key on. This would have powered the actual radio. You don't need
it now, so disconnect its other end.

>  One problem, though, the wipers aren't working at all!

Unless you accidentally disconnected a wiper wire, this is probably a
separate problem. In most years, all the wiper wires run in a
separate cable, so disconnecting one while removing a radio is not
likely.

> The rear defrost also isnt working, but I dont need that hooked up, never
> worked correctly.

And that's a completely separate problem.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org