[T3] Undervoat question

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Oct 29 20:50:47 PDT 2011

In a message dated 10/29/2011 11:00:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
topnotch at nycap.rr.com writes:

I strip  or sandblast the fenders (careful sandblasting the sheetmetal)and
then use  POR 15 with a 3M undercoat over that, the POR 15 is a nice tough
coat and  lasts well as long as you don't actually paint it over any  rust
(ironicially!)and the undercoat keeps gravel and such from chipping  it
anyway.  I also rest the fender on its back edge and apply roofing  tar to
the back seam, just enough to seal it AFTER the POR 15 and then  undercoat
over the whole shebang.

The real problem is making sure  you get ALL of the rust out of that seam on
used fenders, your never going  to get 100% but if you make sure water cant
get back in there then your  OK.

Keith

Yup, I sandblast too, but I epoxy prime that, rather than use Por (I hate
that stuff). Then I paint it with auto paint, and clear coat it (just like
the  outside). This has worked great for me over the last 13 years I've been
doing  it. Like I said before, it allows quick clean up, and to be able to
see any  possible "new" rust that might be trying to start. If you just
undercoat it like  it was, then it might have "new" rust forming under it that
you can't see. This  is always the problem, hidden rust that comes back to
haunt you.With it painted,  you can use a flash light (torch for our UK and OZ
friends) to visually check  for any rust that's starting to appear.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)