[T3] Undervoat question

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Oct 30 16:47:53 PDT 2011

Undercoating was done by the dealer.  Could be the areas where it did not
stick, are areas where the factory applied cosmoline (waxy material sprayed
on to protect the paint in-transit) was applied heavily and thus the
undercoat would not adhere.  In our Southampton NY dealership (68-75 hen I
worked there) we used a 3-M undercoat product.  Having scraped it from 2 VWs
from that era (my SB was probably undercoated by me in 1969) ... it really
did not work so well.

I remember that waxy stuff on some of the German made VWs when they came in
at the Huntsville AL dealer I briefly worked at back around 87 and 88. When
my dad bought my FB new back in 72 he got the dealer undercoat. When we
started disabling the body last year we took the school's steam Jenny and
melted most of it off that way. It looked brand new where it was. But then
again we are not in the snow belt like a lot here are.

Dennis Stiefel