[T3] Gas Leak?

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:34:39 PDT 2011

*Funny  that you posted the "Gas Leak" info, since I recently called you
(and you looked for) about a Fuel Pump gas leak that I have on my '69
Variant.

*BTW, while I was looking around for leak possibilities, I checked my
replacement overflow hose bits. I was very pleased to find that they
were all intact and that the hose was still quite flexible and in
much better shape than an OE part would have been at this age. It's
been in there for 2 or 3 years and shows no signs of age.

*Question.
Was the Replacement Overflow Hose the "kit" that you sell?

As you know, I used your replacement kit earlier this summer.  But it's only
been a few months.  My 42-year-old, OE hose/elbow was dry and broken and
subject to water and road debris that gets "thrown up" to the overflow hose
area.

Another interesting "fact?" that I learned from a long-time VW mechanic and
collector.  He said VW, when they built our Type 3's, stuffed a piece of
foam rubber/cellulose in the upper, rear corner of the front fenders, where
the fender is bolted to the body.  It's near the lower edge of the
windshield.

Does anyone, with an original Type 3, know if this is true?  My 4 fenders
were replaced in 1986 when we did a partial resto.

Gary - Original Owner of a '69 Variant, FI, MT
Lake Geneva, WI
*