[T3] knocking sound at a hard stop-front of car

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 1 18:36:12 PDT 2011

On 1 Sep 2011 at 9:49, Cybernotchback wrote:

> From: John L. Morgan IV <emailjohnmorgan at gmail.com>

> IT isnt a single clonk, but yet, it has a cadence to it, only when applying
> brakes.

If it only happens while braking, it can't be the caliper rubbing
against the wheel.

> Since you have been swapping wheels lately I'd look into overtightened
> lugs.  This might be slightly warping your rotors, (or drums).  I had
> a wheel shop use a torque stick that still overtightened (250flb +, I
> had to overcome the click by quite a bit) the lugs on one of two
> wheels on my H20 VW..  I had an inspection shop do the same a few
> weeks later as well, but this time I knew exactly what was wrong.  My
> symptoms were a minor rubbing all of the time, (easy to hear with the
> convertible top down, not so with it up), but hard rubbing and
> clonking with cadence as I applied the brakes, which slowed as I
> slowed.

Our disks are quite different geometry. While overtightening is bad,
I don't think you can warp our rotors by doing so.

> Another possibility is that the lugs are too long and are dragging on the calipers, but you'd expect this to happen all of the time.

They would have to be several inches too long before they reached
anything on our front wheels, and this would happen all the time, not
just while braking.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org