[T3] great weekend drive

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:08:22 PDT 2011

Well, I went from feeling happy about 34 mpg, to worried that something's
wrong :(

I'll check the spark plugs.  Would low fuel pressure cause it to run lean?
 I'm trying to think of what else to check?  I had 29-30 psi 2 years ago
when I checked it.  I'll put the gauge on again.

I have a small tear in the large intake bellows at the rear of the engine.
 I need to replace that....but the reason I ask is because if it's running
hotter than it should due to something like that, does that in-turn cause
the engine to run lean?  In other words, does a hot engine consequently run
lean?  I think I understand that a lean-running engine will likely run
hot....I'm just wondering about the other way around.  All cooling tins,
spark plug seals, etc are in place.

The only other thing I have changed is that I just went to straight 30w oil
with ZDDP.  This is the first tank I've gas I've used up while running that
oil as well.  I'm thinking that probably has nothing to do with good
mileage.  Previously I used 10w40 or 10w30 depending on the season.

Tires were 20/30 (front/rear)

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback