[T3] great weekend drive

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 04:44:05 PDT 2011

It's a bit non-scientific, but I hold my hand maybe 4" to 6" from the outlet
when the engine is warmed up (that would be when I'm adjusting things) to
get an idea.  Certainly the CO monitor pipe is too hot to hold after leaving
it in the tail-pipe, so I wouldn't expect to be able to leave my hand there.
It would be hotter if there was still a heat reserve in the exhaust system,
until things evened out again.

I've probably only used this with twin carbs, as a bit of a check when
adjusting the mixture screw.  I do that a bit rich of fastest idle for each
carb, and use the 'hand test' just as confirmation.  Carb exhaust gases at
idle do have a higher CO content than FI at idle, so there may be a
different exhaust temp range.  It's not as easy to adjust mixture on FI so I
guess it may not be as valid a test.  I just thought it might help confirm
things, but maybe it's just confusing them!

As I suggested, take a look at a plug or two if you're at all worried, and
keep an eye on mileage over a longer period.  Two or three tanksful are
needed to feel confident that the small differences from fill to fill are
evened out.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club