[T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

Cybernotchback cybernotchback at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 14:23:12 PDT 2011

________________________________
From: Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:30 PM
Subject: [T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

I'm in the process of parting out a front axle beam and a rear
subframe. Both are from a '72 squareback.

The rear subframe is still intact, but I'm having trouble getting the
torsion bars out. I lifted the spring plate just enough to get it off
the stop, but I don't seem to be able to apply enough force to pull
the spring plate off the torsion bar. It seems like it's really stuck
on there.
Anyone got any hints about how to make this easier?

You didn't specifically mention this but have you lowered the spring plate past the stop and relieved all of the tension off the bar(s)?  If not that will prevent you from pulling the spring plate off the bar.  Just too much force on the joint(s) to allow the bar to slip out of either end easily.

Just a thought.

John