[T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

Cybernotchback cybernotchback at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 13:46:00 PDT 2011

________________________________
From: Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

On 7 Sep 2011 at 14:23, Cybernotchback wrote:

> You didn't specifically mention this but have you lowered the spring
> plate past the stop and relieved all of the tension off the bar(s)?
> If not that will prevent you from pulling the spring plate off the
> bar.  Just too much force on the joint(s) to allow the bar to slip out
> of either end easily.

It's a catch 22: You have to pull it out maybe 2 cm before you can
lower it back down below the stop. So breaking it loose must be done
with all the tension still on it. Once it's lowered you're right: It
should be easy then.

I've got good purchase with a good crowbar, but it just doesn't seem
like it's enough. Maybe I'll see if a friend has a longer bar; mine
is only about 2' long. I get the impression that all I need is about
double the leverage, unless there's some other trick.

I've done this 4 times and have used a large screwdriver, (large enough to qualify as a crow bar really)to just slide the spring plate past the stop on its way down.  I guess a crow bar would also do the job.  The only real force necessary would be to get the screwdriver behind the plate and hold it in place as you lower the plate, (you use the screwdriver tip as a wedge, and the tension of the bar will do the hard work).  I don't recall the bar and plate separating, I think this method flexes the plate slightly, again just enough to clear the stop.  A second or third smaller screwdriver might be helpful in getting the larger one the necessary room.  Once the plate is beyond the stop the screwdriver is no longer needed and can be wiggled out, the back side of the plate can jut rub up against the stop till the tension is free.  I really wouldn't try to completely remove a bar or plate that is under full tension.

I hope this helps.

John