[T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:42:33 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 17:23:51 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!
>
> On 7 Sep 2011 at 14:23, Cybernotchback wrote:
>
> > You didn't specifically mention this but have you lowered the spring
> > plate past the stop and relieved all of the tension off the bar(s)?
> > If not that will prevent you from pulling the spring plate off the
> > bar.  Just too much force on the joint(s) to allow the bar to slip out
> > of either end easily.
>
> It's a catch 22: You have to pull it out maybe 2 cm before you can
> lower it back down below the stop. So breaking it loose must be done
> with all the tension still on it. Once it's lowered you're right: It
> should be easy then.
>
> I've got good purchase with a good crowbar, but it just doesn't seem
> like it's enough. Maybe I'll see if a friend has a longer bar; mine
> is only about 2' long. I get the impression that all I need is about
> double the leverage, unless there's some other trick.

I wailed on one bar to transfer to the other, but do not recall if it
was loaded or unloaded, I believe the latter.  Once out, I used a bar
stock to go in the hole and hit the inner side of the torsion bar to
release it.  A crow bar will do no real good, as you will only pull off
the spring plate.  The trick is to hit and release the inner, as all
that grease in there has become glue.  This was on a Squareback, so I
know about how strong the bars are.  They will let go HARD!  Hope this
helps.

Thank you.
Adriel