[T3] Camber Problems

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 11 18:49:41 PDT 2011

On 11 Sep 2011 at 15:34, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> On the right side the range of motion is 3.1 to 3.8 degrees, where on
> the left side the range is 1.6 to 2.4 degrees.  This is with the wheels
> off and the using the level against the face of the rotor.  I spun the
> rotor 180 degrees while checking to make sure these were the min and max
> limits.  They're both above spec WRT Bentley, but I'd expect that as
> they are totally unloaded.  Seems I should be able to get them equal in
> these conditions.

This sounds more likely. You're getting about the same range of
motion on both sides, but the actual numbers are not the same.

If your driveway has about 0.7 deg of tilt that would explain
everything. That comes out to about 12 mm in one meter, which seems
like a lot, but I suppose it's still possible. Included in this would
be differences in tire height possibly due to differences in wear,
inflation, and brand, and suspension height due to differences in
torsion bar adjustment.

Try putting your angle gauge against the bottom center of the front
beam and see how level that looks.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org