[T3] Camber Problems

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Sun Sep 11 21:31:10 PDT 2011

On 9/11/11 6:49 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2011 at 15:34, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
>
>> On the right side the range of motion is 3.1 to 3.8 degrees, where on
>> the left side the range is 1.6 to 2.4 degrees.  This is with the wheels
>> off and the using the level against the face of the rotor.  I spun the
>> rotor 180 degrees while checking to make sure these were the min and max
>> limits.  They're both above spec WRT Bentley, but I'd expect that as
>> they are totally unloaded.  Seems I should be able to get them equal in
>> these conditions.
> This sounds more likely. You're getting about the same range of
> motion on both sides, but the actual numbers are not the same.
>
> If your driveway has about 0.7 deg of tilt that would explain
> everything. That comes out to about 12 mm in one meter, which seems
> like a lot, but I suppose it's still possible. Included in this would
> be differences in tire height possibly due to differences in wear,
> inflation, and brand, and suspension height due to differences in
> torsion bar adjustment.
>
> Try putting your angle gauge against the bottom center of the front
> beam and see how level that looks.

I'll try again tomorrow and post results.  The garage isn't completely
level so that may be contributing to the problem.  I think I need to
really get the beam perfectly level before I start.  It just appears as
the left wheel has too much positive camber and the top 'sticks out' a
little.

The tires are same brand and new.  I'll double check pressure too.

Thanks,
Brent