[T3] Camber Problems

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Mon Sep 12 16:05:28 PDT 2011

On 9/11/11 9:31 PM, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
> On 9/11/11 6:49 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
>> On 11 Sep 2011 at 15:34, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
>>
>>> On the right side the range of motion is 3.1 to 3.8 degrees, where on
>>> the left side the range is 1.6 to 2.4 degrees.  This is with the wheels
>>> off and the using the level against the face of the rotor.  I spun the
>>> rotor 180 degrees while checking to make sure these were the min and
>>> max
>>> limits.  They're both above spec WRT Bentley, but I'd expect that as
>>> they are totally unloaded.  Seems I should be able to get them equal in
>>> these conditions.
>> This sounds more likely. You're getting about the same range of
>> motion on both sides, but the actual numbers are not the same.
>>
>> If your driveway has about 0.7 deg of tilt that would explain
>> everything. That comes out to about 12 mm in one meter, which seems
>> like a lot, but I suppose it's still possible. Included in this would
>> be differences in tire height possibly due to differences in wear,
>> inflation, and brand, and suspension height due to differences in
>> torsion bar adjustment.
>>
>> Try putting your angle gauge against the bottom center of the front
>> beam and see how level that looks.
>>
> I'll try again tomorrow and post results.  The garage isn't completely
> level so that may be contributing to the problem.  I think I need to
> really get the beam perfectly level before I start.  It just appears
> as the left wheel has too much positive camber and the top 'sticks
> out' a little.
>
> The tires are same brand and new.  I'll double check pressure too.
>
> Thanks,
> Brent
No real change.  I completely leveled the beam, measured across top
shock mounts, across top of beam, middle of beam, bottom.  Tires are
off, so I measured again the range of ball joint movement with the beam
100% level.  I'm getting about 2.9-3.7 on the right side, and 2.0-2.5ish
on the left.  It might have hit 1.9-2.6, but the sun was making the
level hard to read.  This makes sense with last nights numbers, because
when I measured the beam before leveling it, it was about 0.2 degrees.

I then switched ball joints from side to side.  No change, the right
side is still about 1.5 degrees more than the left.  Setting both sides
as low as they'll go, I can visually tell that the right side has too
much positive camber.  (Note: I said left wheel last night but that was
looking from the front, the passenger/right side has too much camber).

As for the bearing damage with the original beam it was on the
left/driver side, opposite of my problem wheel.

Brent