[T3] Camber Problems

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Mon Sep 12 20:33:54 PDT 2011

On 9/12/11 8:14 PM, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
> On 9/12/11 8:01 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
>> On 12 Sep 2011 at 16:05, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
>>
>>> No real change.  I completely leveled the beam, measured across top
>>> shock mounts, across top of beam, middle of beam, bottom.  Tires are
>>> off, so I measured again the range of ball joint movement with the beam
>>> 100% level.  I'm getting about 2.9-3.7 on the right side, and
>>> 2.0-2.5ish
>>> on the left.
>> Since you've got the car in the air and the wheels off, the tires and
>> torsion bars don't really control the position of the rotors. Since
>> you're against the bump stops, what are the chances that the bump
>> stops are crushing different amounts?
> I'll take a look at that.  Maybe I can take the bump stops off and see
> what happens.  Then I'd know they were equal.  When I was adjusting
> the upper ball joints they had a tendency to back out a little as I
> turned them.  I put a clamp on each side to hold it in place, but
> maybe I tightened one more than the other?
>>
>> Also, the camber would be affected by any side to side play in the
>> sway bar. Is there any play there? Is the sway bar loose in the LU
>> torsion arm?
> No play there.  I was really careful putting it back together.
> There's no axial movement of the upper arms.
I jacked up each side just enough to get the bump stops off.  Both upper
control arms are sitting equal at about 1/4" above the nub for the bump
stop.  There is no axial play.  The angles I'm getting are a little
different, but there still is the 1.5 degree gap between the two sides.

This is getting very frustrating, as I just can't seem to get them even
close.  I can set both sides to the lowest angle and just looking at it
I can tell the right rotor doesn't look right.  I also checked the
rubber mounts, and they look very equal between the sides and I don't
see any pinches or anything like that.