[T3] Camber Problems

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Mon Sep 12 20:14:18 PDT 2011

On 9/12/11 8:01 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2011 at 16:05, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
>
>> No real change.  I completely leveled the beam, measured across top
>> shock mounts, across top of beam, middle of beam, bottom.  Tires are
>> off, so I measured again the range of ball joint movement with the beam
>> 100% level.  I'm getting about 2.9-3.7 on the right side, and 2.0-2.5ish
>> on the left.
> Since you've got the car in the air and the wheels off, the tires and
> torsion bars don't really control the position of the rotors. Since
> you're against the bump stops, what are the chances that the bump
> stops are crushing different amounts?
I'll take a look at that.  Maybe I can take the bump stops off and see
what happens.  Then I'd know they were equal.  When I was adjusting the
upper ball joints they had a tendency to back out a little as I turned
them.  I put a clamp on each side to hold it in place, but maybe I
tightened one more than the other?

> Also, the camber would be affected by any side to side play in the
> sway bar. Is there any play there? Is the sway bar loose in the LU
> torsion arm?
No play there.  I was really careful putting it back together.  There's
no axial movement of the upper arms.