[T3] Camber Problems

Cybernotchback cybernotchback at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 07:40:17 PDT 2011

________________________________
From: Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] Camber Problems

On 12 Sep 2011 at 16:05, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> No real change.  I completely leveled the beam, measured across top
> shock mounts, across top of beam, middle of beam, bottom.  Tires are
> off, so I measured again the range of ball joint movement with the beam
> 100% level.  I'm getting about 2.9-3.7 on the right side, and 2.0-2.5ish
> on the left.

Since you've got the car in the air and the wheels off, the tires and
torsion bars don't really control the position of the rotors. Since
you're against the bump stops, what are the chances that the bump
stops are crushing different amounts?

The bump stops could also be bent due to rust or accident damage.  You might try to put a level on the lower control arms to verify that they are starting at the same height and are also level and square.  (Note it's been a while, so I'm not even sure if this is possible without hitting other items).  This might also verify that the control arms aren't bent themselves.

Just a thought

John