[T3] Camber Problems

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 13 21:55:02 PDT 2011

On 13 Sep 2011 at 21:08, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> On 9/13/11 5:40 PM, Keith Park wrote:

> > Easy to tell if the torsion arms are bent on the lower ones, if the bar
> > doesn't exit the arm in the middle of the circle, the arm is bent, if it
> > does then your fine.  The same theory applied for the uppers, but the sway
> > bar will rock back and forth on one end if I recall properly.

> I'll try that when I take off the control arms.  I'm pretty sure the
> torsion bars are good, and it's a control arm or spindle that's giving
> me the problem.

That's an easy test to do and a good suggestion, as long as the bend
is between the bearing surfaces. I had been assuming that the arm
could have been bent in the outer part, but the only bent arm I've
ever had to deal with was bent inside. Of course, it may well have
been bent in both areas.

> Today I picked up an entire beam from rotor to rotor.  I bought it to
> use the control arms and steering knuckles; but, my wife's brakes on her
> 73 Ghia squeal like crazy no matter what I do and I want to upgrade to
> Type 3 dual pin brake calipers.  Win-win in my book, now to start
> cleaning up the parts.

Do late Ghias use calipers with the larger bolts and wider bolt
spacing? I didn't know that.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org