[T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 15 20:26:23 PDT 2011

Well, my squareback rear IRS subframe is apart after several false
starts. Once I stumbled around enough to find the right way to get
the spring plates released, it went rather quickly and easily. In my
case, the torsion bars came out with the spring plates, so I was glad
I wasn't trying to do this in a car with the fenders in the way.

At any rate, it looks like the torsion bars are spoken for, but if
anyone needs anything else from back there, speak up now or I'll be
hauling much of it to the recyclers.

The diagonal arms are there, with good bushings in them, and I have
the rear stub axles, with bearings, spacers, and seal surfaces. One
of the hardest parts turned out to be removing those big shoulder
bolts that go thru the diagonal arm bushings.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org