[T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 18 05:59:01 PDT 2011

On 17 Sep 2011 at 13:27, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/17/2011 12:59:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

> The caps  wrap about halfway around the torsion tubes and are located
> on the forward  face of the torsion tubes, just outboard of the center
> forging that has  the torsion bar splines and that the tranny attaches
> to. You can easily  see at least part of them from below.
>
> Jim, would this area be covered by the boxed reinforcement on the earlier
> subframes? I'm just asking, because VW did away with the boxed sections in
> mid  69 (to allow more cooling air for the AT, at least that's VW's reason).
> If  so, then that vent/drain would be covered.

Good, I forgot about that reinforcement, but that was on the bottom
of the torque tubes, while these covers are on the front. These
covers are only about 3" wide and wrap about halfway around the
torque tubes, so some version of them might have been there then.

OTOH, they may have had no vent/drain in that era, or the vent could
have been different, possibly thru the boxed section. Don't the boxes
have a hole near their outboard end, their low point?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org