[T3] Fuel Filter & Overheating

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Sep 19 08:22:31 PDT 2011

In a message dated 9/19/2011 8:27:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 18  Sep 2011 at 22:02, Know One wrote:

> A couple of fuel filter  questions.
>
> Where is the stock fuel filter located in a  '67?

I THINK your '67 originally came with a filter built into the fuel
pump. VW never used an inline filter anywhere with the carbed
engines.

If you still have the problem, you can cure it by  bypassing the stock
fuel pump and adding an electric pump under the gas  tank. If you do
that, you must also add a crash safety switch. There's a  common Ford
switch available from NAPA dealers for a very reasonable  price.
Someone else here should be able to chime in and give you the part
number.

VW never installed a filter. They used the tank sock, and a small screen in
 the mechanical pump as filters for carbed engines.

But, I had this issue with my 65 Notch in route to (and from) the  2010 T-3
Invasion. However in my case, it was the mechanical fuel pump that  was
boiling off the gas, and filling with air. In my case (on the way there)
swapping the mechanical pump with my spare pump, got me back on the road. Even
installing an electric fuel pump ( that I did at the host hotel parking lot)
wouldn't push fuel thru the pump. My temporary solution was to not shut off
the  car, until I (we) got where we were going for the day.

 After I had it do the same thing at home (running around town on a  hot
day after the Invasion), I removed the mechanical pump from the system, and
went strictly electric. I still need to install a safety switch, but it has
"fixed" my issue. Do you have an all aluminum engine case? I'm only asking,
because I do. If you don't, it's possible that your mechanical pump is on
it's  way out (needing replacement). I hope this helps.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)