[T3] Muffler talk

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 22 10:58:20 PDT 2011

On 22 Sep 2011 at 12:30, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> *With all this talk about exhaust part 'n pieces, I believe I may have found
> two German OEM heat exchangers, in their original boxes.  All the
> insulation, shields, bands, levers, flaps, etc. seem to be present.

You're asking about the big, lower heat exchangers, right?

> Question:
> 1.  How difficult a job is remove the old ones and install the new ones?
> 2.  Is it relatively "EASY or DIFFICULT" to do, with the engine in the car?

It's difficult with the engine in the car, but it can be done. Your
engine was rebuilt with some better hardware (hex head sheet metal
screws in some places) that might make some of this easier.

> 3.  With two skilled "wrenches" working on the job, (on jack stands ... NOT
> on a lift) how many hours might it take?

To R/R both sides would take 2-4 hours.

> 4.  Will we (probably) need a "fire wrench" to get the old ones off?

Probably, on the exhaust studs.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org