[T3] 72 FI or compatible

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 30 06:58:05 PDT 2011

On 29 Sep 2011 at 20:23, Max Welton wrote:

> Local place that fabs up all sorts of hydraulic lines for local farm
> and heavy-equipment guys also happened to have nickel-copper brake
> line. Works great, but I did pay attention to not leaving much of it
> unsupported. I figure anything that flexes will eventually fatigue.

The cupro-nidkel alloy was chosen for brake lines due to it's
resistance to fatigue, unlike pure copper, so that's a point in its
favor. The downside to this is the fact that the rubber hose almost
always fails at the connections, where it is slightly stretched. With
your metal tubing sections, you have a lot more of those connections.

> OT reacts to slowly. MS uses that signal to control the warmup
> enrichment and I don't want to apply the enrichment any longer than
> it's actually needed.

I was thinking that OT would react about the same as WT, but if the
MS works well with the faster warmup time of the HT and doesn't mind
the higher end temp, then getting out of the warmup mode quickly is
certainly a good thing. If that's correct, I wonder why MS didn't
suggest HT as a first choice.

> And in the winter I struggle to get the oil temp up over 150F, even
> with fully functional thermostat and shutters. The first 8 miles in my
> commute are all down-hill. Tough to warm it up.

Yeah, that would be hard.

> Actually, next time I make changes I plan to fit up some heads that
> will take the type-3 CHT sensor. And MS-II already has a built-in cal
> for it.

That sounds like a much simpler approach.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org