[T3] 72 FI or compatible

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Sep 30 17:58:20 PDT 2011

Where do you have your O2 sensor??

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"
65 Notchback "El Baja Rojo"
65 Squareback "Eggcrate"
87 golf "Winterat"
93 RX7 "Redstur"

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Max Welton
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:24 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] 72 FI or compatible

> Where did you get the large diameter cupro-nickel tubing?
> That's a
> nice choice, but all rubber hose would have been easier and
> actually
> more reliable.

Local place that fabs up all sorts of hydraulic lines for local farm and
heavy-equipment guys also happened to have nickel-copper brake line. Works
great, but I did pay attention to not leaving much of it unsupported. I
figure anything that flexes will eventually fatigue.

> Did you consider sensing oil temp, since this is a pretty
> good
> indicator of engine temp? Our engines are sometimes
> referred to as
> "oil cooled," after all.

OT reacts to slowly. MS uses that signal to control the warmup enrichment
and I don't want to apply the enrichment any longer than it's actually
needed.

And in the winter I struggle to get the oil temp up over 150F, even with
fully functional thermostat and shutters. The first 8 miles in my commute
are all down-hill. Tough to warm it up.

Actually, next time I make changes I plan to fit up some heads that will
take the type-3 CHT sensor. And MS-II already has a built-in cal for it.

> Sorry for so many questions. Looks like you put a LOT of
> work into this.

It would have seemed more like work if it wasn't so much fun. :D

>From a casual glance it all looks pretty stock. A type-3 person would notice
the modern injectors and TPS.

Max