[T3] great weekend drive

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 14:23:39 PDT 2011

Finally got the RR axle reinstalled and the CV joints together, etc.  Worked
out great and I thank everyone for their help on the CV questions.

Decided to go camping this weekend with my son and so I was eyeing the
Fastback....Hmmm.....100+ miles, 2+ hours of driving to get to the coast.  I
figured, what the heck - I've worked on so much of the car and feel good
about its capabilities, but rarely drive it any great distance.  Actually,
30 minutes out of town is about it so far.  So we loaded it up and I made a
special trip a 1/2 hour out of the way to get some 0% ethanol in the tank.
 Filled up completely with 92 (that's all they had in ethanol-free) for
$4.23/gal.  Trip to the beach was fantastic.  I had so much fun driving the
car and feeling good about all the work that had gone into over the last 2
years.  We had a great weekend and then drove back last night.  This
morning, since it had been all highway miles, I went back to the
ethanol-free station and filled again to check the mileage.  34 mpg !  I was
very pleased :)  I got 200 miles in before the gauge hit 1/2 a tank.  That
sender was recently fixed by Jim so I feel it's fairly accurate.  By the
time I filled up, it was slightly under 1/2 a tank and I got 6.35 gallons in
it.

The oil light never came on nor did I have any other signs of impending
trouble.  It seemed to have plenty of power heading up hills loaded down
with camping gear and 2 passengers.  I've never done a compression test on
it.  But if the way it drove was any indicator, I'm hoping the engine is
doing well.

Well, here's hoping you all got out and drove your T-3 a little this
weekend!

Cheers,

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback