[T3] large air intake bellow

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 21:20:24 PDT 2011

I bought a new large intake bellows yesterday 'cause my old one was slightly
torn.  The new one (imagine this) was from Brazil and doesn't look the same.
 It's pretty close but those large built-up lips on the bottom side which
hold the band are incorrect.  They are not slit on the sides; I had to cut
my own slits.  Also, they aren't very firm and don't hold the band well.
 It's making it hard for me to put the band on.

What is the best way to do this?  I feel like I should be installing the
bellows with the bands in place on the bottom, held in by the big rubber
lip, and then work it over the intake hole, trying to keep the band in
place?  Later you would tighten the band.  My muffler is really tight up
against the intake hole.  I got it on tonight, but tried to weasel the band
on after the fact and it's hard to do.

I imagine it's just one of those things that just takes some time to do, but
if there's a preferred method, I'd love to know.

Thanks,

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback