[T3] Brake calipers: Piston positioning plates

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 16 05:35:30 PDT 2011

A month or so ago I announced that I would no longer be able to
replace the positioning plates on late style calipers when those
calipers were sent to me for rebuilding. Since then, I've managed to
purchase a supply of caliper kits that include those plates, although
I had to pay a premium to buy those kits.

For the early calipers, I still have a few used positioning plates
which I will try to use up first. I'm gonna have to increase my price
for all of these to $3 each for used ones, while they last, and $5
each for new ones.

For the mounting bolt lock plates, I still have a few of the early
ones and now I have quite a few of the late ones. The price for each
is also $5. Keep in mind that the lock plates can be reused many
times if you are careful with them.

For both early and late calipers, I'm running low on the pad spreader
springs. Those never came in the caliper kits; VW used to include
them with pads, but I've not seen a set of pads with those in many
years. Those can also be reused many times, and can even be reused
after the rivet rusts out and they become 2 parts. Once they are in 2
parts, they are just a little harder to install, but they still stay
in place and do their job.

I'm going to limit sales of these parts to people who send calipers
to me for rebuilding, otherwise, I suspect that I'll be cleaned out
quickly. If you sent calipers to me in the past and requested parts
that I was unable to supply at that time, I'll be happy to help you
now.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org