[T3] Fuel Filter & Overheating

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 18 22:02:33 PDT 2011

A couple of fuel filter questions.

Where is the stock fuel filter located in a '67?

Our local VW group (State Route 49 Vdubs) has a tech day once a month where a member who has a smog shop invites VW folks over to work on their cars, help others, and just generally gather and talk VWs.

I took mine there last Saturday to check compression:

Which seems to be good overall. I'll check again after a valve adjustment and tune up.

I have been having problems with fuel starvation (vapor lock?) after a long drive (engine hot) with it getting hot and not being able to start again after stopping.

So I asked around for opinions. A suggestion was that as I have the filter located just before the fuel pump the air in the filter contributed to fuel starvation. My take on that theory is that its plausible. All is well as fuel is flowing while running. When stopped, the air already in the filter expands with the heat to create more vapor which displaces liquid fuel in the line making it difficult to start until the vapor clears.

A suggestion was to locate the filter after the pump where the vapor would be forced out of the filter avoiding the vapor problem. Push fuel through the filter instead of sucking it through.

The fuel line from the pump to the T on the forward end of the engine runs near the oil filter getting it extra hot. One suggestion was to re-route the line to be away from the hot oil filter cover, which would be easy enough. One other suggestion was to shield the fuel line with something like a larger diameter hose.

Some are really distrustful of a fuel filter in the engine bay at all, so they locate it elsewhere. I can eliminate the filter in the engine bay easily enough as I have another immediately below the tank, so that's my first change to make.

I checked my Bentley, but since it's for 68 & later (FI) it doesn't apply.

Jeff '67 Sqbk