[T3] Gearlube question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 24 19:41:24 PDT 2012

On 24 Apr 2012 at 21:48, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/24/2012 9:14:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

> The  original spec was MIL-L 2105B, but that got superceeded by C and
> then D.  Now I'm told that the 2105 spec is dead, so we're just
> looking for GL-4.

> I was asking about the mil spec, since most of the jugs of gear lube
> still  have that printed on them.  So what you're saying is that the
> superceeded  version still carries the same properties as the
> original? Or is it  updated/replacing the old spec?

My understanding is that the D & C specs are backwards compatable to
B and A.

> Yes, the combination GL 4/GL 5 is  troubling, like you pointed out.
> About the only thing I saw that was GL 4 only  was synthetic GL. Now
> I've heard good things about using it, but I don't know  which brand
> is best.

I don't know anything about this, but I suspect that synthetic GL-4
would be AT LEAST as good as dino GL-4. I've only heard good things,
too, but, like you, I don't have any first hand experience with any
of it. I doubt if the brand makes any significant difference.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org