[T3] Window rubber

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Apr 8 19:02:50 PDT 2012

In a message dated 4/8/2012 8:46:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jimmyandcher at yahoo.com writes:

Today,  when rolling up the passenger side door glass on my '68
squareback,  the rubber "scraper" -not sure if that's what it's
called- fell off.  It was totally dry rotted I guess. It's the piece
that is mounted at  the bottom of the window opening and seals against
the glass when  the glass is up. Any advice on where I can acquire
some new  ones?
Thanks

That's what it's called. Note; the door will have to be completely
disassembled to fix it.  The best way I've found to fix it, is to get a 68  and
later bug scraper, drill out the rivets, then remove the rubber piece. After
that, trim it to match the T-3 length, and the drill out the rivets holding
the  t-3 piece on it's scraper, then using 1/8th by 3/16ths inch long rivets
(with  the nail removed), install the bug rubber onto the t-3 part. Then
re-assemble  the door (greasing the window track channel). I realize I've
probably over  simplified things here, but it's most of an afternoon job, just
because you have  to take the door completely apart. In my signature below, on
page 18 or  19, I show how I did that on my old 71 Notch, but on it I used
an  inner window seal in place of the outer. I prefer to use the bug version
though,  as it actually fits better, and is easier to work with (lays out
straighter once  completed). I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch  S with Sunroof
My old 71 Notch ...aka Krunchy; build pics here;
_http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390_
(http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390)   -been busy working
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120