[T3] Mark 10 (was RE: Stock cylinder kits)

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:46:30 PDT 2012

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Tempe, AZ

> From: topnotch at nycap.rr.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:35:39 -0400
> Subject: Re: [T3] Stock cylinder kits
>
> The Mark 10 gives a much quieter ignition signal, less voltage spikes and
> "noise" on the lines. It's the noise from the inductive discharge across
> the points that can occationally cause the cruise to kick off. Jim may
> explain the Mark 10 operation better, and the cleaner spark it gives.

So how does this affect combustion and mileage? I was going to get one, but
now have to pay for shipping the Squareback to Arizona to be a daily driver.

> Getting the Cruise unit out of the engine compartment and under the back
> seat helped, but didn't eliminate the problem. It used to be fine with the
> kettering system but perhaps age, or the failure of a component in the
> filter on the cruise itself has caused it to be more sensitive.

Good to know, as if I am going to take the Squareback to the next Invasion
(doubt it with the way it acts) I would have to have cruise control. My torn
tendon in my foot/ankle is only getting worse.

Thank you,
Adriel