[T3] 1972 clock repair info

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 23 05:42:35 PDT 2012

On 22 Aug 2012 at 23:30, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> I remember stumbling across a link (I thought it was on this site) about
> repairing the clock on a 1972 Squareback.

I've had generally poor luck repairing the late style clocks. You're
right, it's not as simple as the early ones. Most of the time I
really can't get the late ones going again. The late version started
in '71 and can be distinguished by its metal back cover. The early
version has a white plastic cover.

The last clock I worked on was a late one that turned out well. It
was actually my very first late style success, and it turned out
beautifully. It belonged to Dennis Steifel and with a little tweaking
it also kept nearly perfect time.

I'm willing to try this at no risk to you unless I succeed. Your cost
would be $30 plus return shipping if I succeed or zero if I fail.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org