[T3] Intermittently running on two cylinders

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Dec 4 18:55:48 PST 2012

In a message dated 12/3/12 7:00:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
danielnohejl at gmail.com writes:

> As far as I know, this is our car's first winter outside…..it came from
Texas,
>  spent a few years in a garage in Minnesota, and now lives in Brooklyn,
NY.
> The cold has hastened the aging of the harness….the difference between
the
> harness now and 3 months ago is drastic. It's very stiff, several
connectors
> have snapped off, the boots are cracking, etc.
>
>  In the end, we've decided to get a new harness made. While it isn't
cheap,
> we figured it's a good investment since we plan on keeping the car until
it
> disintegrates. A new harness will allow us to eliminate faulty
connectors,
> hidden shorts, broken wires, etc. from our troubleshooting and diagnosis
for
> good.

Yes, this should fix all the troubles you're having Dan. Joe had a couple
of harnesses with him at the Invasion too. He does really good work. In fact
his own 71 Square was running the 69 set up, as he was having trouble
getting a good "C" or "D" MPS. He felt more confident converting to the earlier
set up (he even made an adapter harness for it). It's one of those deals, that
you really don't see, unless you ask about it.
But since your car spent some time in Texas (hot) with a hot (very hot)
engine, I'm not really surprised that the harness is brittle.I just wish I had
known that a few months ago, as I would have suggested that you contact Joe.
The heat down there really bakes rubber and plastic parts that are exposed
to the sun (a couple of my own cars came from there), add in the extra heat
off the engine, and you're literally cooking the harness. By replacing it
with a new one, you should be able to eliminate the last of those pesky little
problems you've been having with it.

I know you bought the car in not running condition (I've been following
your thread on the Samba since this past summer after you and Jen bought it),
and you two have been slowly bringing it back to life, while moving it around
the block (they're on city street parking for those who aren't following
the Samba thread), which can't be too easy. You've done a fantastic job with
it, even IF it seems you two go 1 step forward and 3 steps back. With trying
to get the right parts from suppliers, to understanding (and getting) the FI
to work, along with going thru the entire brake system, you've made a lot
of head way with that car. I'm proud of you two. Not everyone will try to
bring an old car back to life, let alone one they're completely unfamiliar with.

Bob 65 Notch S with Sunroof and IRS, aka "Krusty"
       64 T-34 Ghia aka "Wolfie"</HTML>