[T3] Faulty Fuel Pump

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 30 09:53:19 PST 2012

On 29 Dec 2012 at 22:47, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> I am so mad right now! Adney sent me a rebuilt pump (which I am sure
> he tested), just installed it, and it doesn&apost work! Applied 12
> volts and nothing. I have the two clicks, dash lights are on, and
> fully charged battery. The dome light even started working and really
> spins over like I never heard it do. So should be good to go. If I
> don&apost get the Squareback running by 3:00P.S.T. going to cost me an
> extra $100 I really don&apost have, thus part of the reason I am upset
> (also sick of how unreliable these autos are). Any ideas?

When you turn the key on, do you hear a relay click, and then a
second click about 1 second later? If not, your fuel pump relay isn't
working, due to a more fundamental problem, and that means the pump
never actually got any power.

Try using a small jumper around the fuel pump relay, between the 2
red wires. You should get a small spark and that should run the pump,
even with the key off.

If you don't get any sparks, check the voltage on those wires. If
there's no voltage, check the fuel pump supply fuse. One of those red
wires will lead back to the fuse box, so you can follow it to the
correct fuse. If the fuse is bad, you'll find voltage on one end and
not on the other.

If there's no voltage on either end, there's something wrong with the
wiring: a bad connection, a broken wire, or (most likely) a wire
mis-connected.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org