[T3] Tired Searching for Tires

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Feb 5 08:05:41 PST 2012

In a message dated 2/5/2012 10:27:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

I can't  see that it's in the interests of anybody apart from the
manufactureres to  require that serviceable tyres are scrapped.  I can see
that fitters  could be legally liable if unsuitable tyres are fitted (which
includes  tyres not suited to the rim size).

My life to me is worth more than a  set of tyres, so if there's something
doubtful about them, I'll change them  rather than take a risk.  The way
some
people drive makes me wonder if  they would worry much about their  tyres,
though!

I believe a lot of this all came about because of the Explorer roll overs
from the early 2000's. It made the tire companies nervous, and the lawsuits
were  flying everywhere it seemed. Now tire shops (the bigger ones) say they
won't  touch a tire older than 7 years old (not even fix it), due to a
potential  lawsuit IF the tire fails (since they worked on it last). But, it
seems like  today's rubber has an expiration date built into them, as they seem
to start  weather checking and cracking about 7 years after it's made. :O

64 T-34 Ghia (Wolfie)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120