[T3] Tired Searching for Tires

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 19:34:32 PST 2012

> From: dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 00:39:16 +0000
> Subject: Re: [T3] Tired Searching for Tires
>
> Sometimes rubbing on Type 3s is because the steering knuckle assembly has
> worn where it rubs on the torsion arm.

You mean number four gets warn where it seats in the bearings?

The front end is replaced, but sagged quit a bit, so this Easter Break making
a special trip and try and figure out what went wrong and fix it. The old
front end had some odd wear from number one and for over extending during
traversing rough roads (Sandy Eggo is got enough pot holes to make one feel
they are off roading especially when they bend a rim). In short, not sure
I still have the issue.

>There is a part (no. 8 on parts
> picture at http://home.clara.net/hallvw/type3/T3pbo/T3pb4-6.htm ) which I
> think has been repro-ed that clamps round the torsion arm and acts as a
> steering stop. Stock tyres can rub due to this wear, particularly when
> manoeuvring in reverse. I made a strip of metal into a steering stop clamp
> when a fussy tester was concerned at the lightest of rubbing in reverse.
> The rubber moulding sprues on the tyre walls were not even rubbed off by the
> contact, just a bit of tarry underseal.

I have seen this in the Bentley, but was not sure how to manufacture it, so
where does one get the reproduction? Wonder now I think on it, might be able
to use the arm as a anvil and wrap the stock over it?

Thank you,
Adriel