[T3] Front Axle Beam Tow Bar

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 15:44:21 PST 2012

In a message dated 2/8/2012 6:07:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gbforsmo at gmail.com writes:

*Does  anyone have a Tow Bar?  Pictures?*

Yes. Here's a few links to the pictures of mine. I started out with a Super
 beetle tow bar, and modified it.

Here's how to modify a Super Beetle towbar for use as a Type 3  towbar.

After I cut off the "ears" on the Super bug towbar, I welded on  24" long,
2" diameter tubes to extend the total length and then welded the  "ears"
back on to each tube end. I also added a 21 inch long , 1 1/2" X 1 1/2 "  piece
of angle as a crossbar for extra support. I cut the "U" bolts a little bit
after these pictures were taken, since I got them too long. My dad used it
to  pull the car in the pics behind his motor home (for the 08 Invasion).
Since  you have a bigger motor home,  I'd change the 24 inch extensions to 30
inch  ones (a little longer doesn't really hurt, and might even help you see
the  car behind you. ;-) On FI cars though, you might have to re-locate the
fuel  pump, so keep that in mind.

[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/463358.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/463357.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/463356.jpg[/img]