[T3] Front Axle Beam Tow Bar

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 8 15:31:25 PST 2012

On 8 Feb 2012 at 17:07, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> The oval mounting area which is welded to the "sub-frame" has two bolts
> (size ?) on each side.

They aren't welded to a subframe; they're welded to body sheet metal,
which is much less strong.

> *1.  I've been told that two (2) "tabs" (one on each side; inboard of the
> steering linkage/tires) were welded to the bottom of the Axle Beam.

I would never advise welding to the axle beam. There are various
irreplacable bits in there which welding could ruin. The only ones
I've seen were the clamp on type, and I don't know where they came
from.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org