[T3] Tow Bar

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Feb 9 14:23:24 PST 2012

In a message dated 2/9/2012 1:02:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

Bob  could probably make you an adaptor but it would be an
"interesting"  project. It might be possible to replace the round
tubular front bumper  reinforcement with something stronger that
actually attached to the  beam.

Jim, I sent Gary the pics he couldn't get from the Samba, along with some
more close up individual ones. I personally think modifying an already
existing  part is the way to go, especially since it attaches to the beam. Like
you, I'd  never attach any pulling device off the sheet metal bumper mounts.
I've seen way  too many T-3s that have rust in those areas to even try. I've
also made an  adapter plate set up that bolts to the front beam and uses a
standard bug tow  bar (it's really heavy too), but I really like the
modified super beetle  version, as it's light, doesn't interfere with too much, or
can be  installed or removed in about 1/2 hour with simple hand tools. I
used a version  of it before to flat tow a t-3 (my Square-vert) from Joplin Mo
to my home in  Michigan, so I know it works good for our cars. And it can
still be used on a  super beetle. ;-)

The biggest problem we have with our cars and tow bars, is that there's so
much nose (sheet metal) in front of the beam. This means you need to
lengthen  it, or it will try to foul up the apron. Using either of the 2 set ups
I've  built require a drop in the receiver insert (I forget what they're
really  called, but mines sitting on the floor in my shop).

64 T-34 Ghia (Wolfie)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120