[T3] Speedometer/Odometer ratio?

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:46:18 PST 2012

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Tempe, AZ

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:11:37 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Speedometer/Odometer ratio?
>
> On 9 Feb 2012 at 13:59, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > What we need is the code off Russ's as he said it was not correct.
> > Maybe there others too.
>
> All the Type 3 speedos I've seen say either W0.80 or W0.82. I
> expected the Mercedes to use a letter other than W, perhaps to
> signify that the signal did not come directly from the wheel, but it
> still had the W, so I remain stumped.

Consider also commas and periods are switched in German, so seems W0 is
separate from 80 and 82. But, this is interesting.

Just a second...

Here is the answer:
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/p,907983/highlight,/sid,7a003e680291ec406383649502b26924/
especially this:
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,308713/highlight,speedo/

In short, a code. So, why not accept Occam's razor and for now say 80 for 80 percent aspect ratio and 82 for 82 percent? The easiest way I see to test this is see if any change in speed reading with same tires and different codes.

Another thought is that we are one of the few rear engined autos, so not as feasible to get readings off the transmission. This means a limited/no availability of a code from a rear engine auto to compare codes of the two.

Thank you,
Adriel

Thank you,
Adriel