[T3] trivial pursuit: the type 3 addition

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 19:43:49 PST 2012

In a message dated 2/12/2012 7:56:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

Brian,  I'm not sure why you said the bolts are 30mm long when they're not!
Is that  the trivial bit?   Anyway, we now know they're 15mm and  18mm
depending on earlier or later than mid-'65, and the upper one (sway  bar) is
20mm.

This is because he first asked this question over on the Samba, and I gave
him the wrong length. :O  I was going off of my memory when I did (still
sipping coffee). The reason he was asking, was because he had a stud in the
end  of the torsion bar (since his car is on an air ride system), that had
sheared,  causing the opposite side trailing arm and torsion bar to come out
while  driving at speed on a highway. In his case, he can't tighten the bolt
against  the beam (like on a normal t-3), as it's a pivot point now. I think
he's looking  for something that would run the length of the threads in the
bar, and still  leave just enough length outside to allow the bar to pivot,
but not be loose.  Hence the reason for asking how deep the hole and
threads are in the torsion  bar.

64 T-34 Ghia (Wolfie)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120