[T3] trivial pursuit: the type 3 addition

Brian Fye bfye at canyonville.net
Mon Feb 13 07:30:47 PST 2012

Bob is correct.  I did not want to mention his name because everything else
he told me about the bolt was correct ;)  I've been talking with John J
about ways to secure the stud and a mechanical lock + loctite is the way I
am going to go at this point.  The set up did last about 25k miles before
the failure, and looking back the car did try and tell me.  I mistook the
noise I was hearing as a bearing going out.  Now I know I have an audible
cue as well as a desire to check the set up more often.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM, <Bobsnotch at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 2/12/2012 7:56:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:
>
> Brian,  I'm not sure why you said the bolts are 30mm long when they're not!
> Is that  the trivial bit?   Anyway, we now know they're 15mm and  18mm
> depending on earlier or later than mid-'65, and the upper one (sway  bar)
> is
> 20mm.
>

> This is because he first asked this question over on the Samba, and I gave
> him the wrong length. :O  I was going off of my memory when I did (still
> sipping coffee). The reason he was asking, was because he had a stud in the
> end  of the torsion bar (since his car is on an air ride system), that had
> sheared,  causing the opposite side trailing arm and torsion bar to come
> out
> while  driving at speed on a highway. In his case, he can't tighten the
> bolt
> against  the beam (like on a normal t-3), as it's a pivot point now. I
> think
> he's looking  for something that would run the length of the threads in the
> bar, and still  leave just enough length outside to allow the bar to pivot,
> but not be loose.  Hence the reason for asking how deep the hole and
> threads are in the torsion  bar.
>
> Bob 65 Notch  S with sunroof and IRS (Krusty)
> 64 T-34 Ghia (Wolfie)
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120

Brian Fye
Canyonville Christian Academy