[T3] too hard to Retire!

Jens Vagelpohl jens at type4.org
Tue Feb 14 23:52:31 PST 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 02:36 , Keith Park wrote:
> 2)	Nankang  $58  Sounds REALLY cheap, and from what the Mustang guys
> say (who use them on the front of their drag cars) they are UGLY!

I don't know about "ugly", but I do have personal experience with those tires. When I bought my Porsche 914 in 2005 I had the owner put new tires on so I could make the trip cross-country back to where I lived at the time. Those Nankang were all his shop (a Les Schwab in Salem/OR) could find. I made the trip alright, but it constantly felt like those wheels weren't balanced. When I took them to a tire shop back home they said the tires are balanced as good as possible, but the tires themselves were slightly out of round and would never run well.

A little later I found a set of well-restored stel wheels for the 914 which came with decent Michelin XZXs on them to replace the non-original aftermarket aluminum wheels. That made a world of a difference in ride quality. Those are still on the car. And yes, I know about the dangers of overage tires ;-)

jens