[T3] too hard to Retire!

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 05:22:53 PST 2012

I can't agree that the size is popular; I guess we're lucky that enough
people in the world still run cars with 165/80-15 tyres.

I got some (budget) Korean tyres called Maxxis last year but they're not
listed on the Maxxis site any more, so maybe they're just making a batch
from time to time.  They're round and black, and seem OK!

It would be nice to have got a pair of Michelin XZX instead, but they
weren't available at the time, and would have been nearly three times the
price.

A bit of Googling gives:-
Nexen are from Korea.
Nankang are from Taiwan.
Federal are from Taiwan.
Multimile are a US company, but they seem a bit quiet about where they make
them!  That leads me to assume they are not made in the USA.
Vredestein Sprint Classic is a top price tyre (120GBP or about $190) so I
guess your quote was for T-Trac?

Michelin XZX would be about the same as the Vredestein Classic Sprint.  On a
top-class concours car I'd have to consider them for originality, but not on
anything less!

You can't really complain about quality brands being expensive, and budget
brands sounding cheap!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club