[T3] Factory FM Stereo For T-3?

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Feb 21 19:43:08 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:00 AM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Factory FM Stereo For T-3?

On 18 Feb 2012 at 23:50, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> *The battery would be in the way on the passenger side kick panels of
> *both models.
>
> Well I was meaning the kick panels up front. They bolted on top of them
like
> this.
>
> http://www.volkstech.com/html/vw_speaker_panels.html

Okay, that would work, although they would require sheet metal screws
that would come thru the front inner fender wall. That's probably
okay for our cars now, but I hate to see that done to a daily driver
because it gives rust a place to start.

If you do this, use the sheet metal screws with the blunt tips.
Otherwise, you may gash yourself on the ends some other time when
you're working under the car and not thinking about those screws.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Hey Jim, I done a little more investigating on where they had the speakers
mounted on that Squareback. The door panels were long gone when I got the
car but I found speaker wire in the doors that matched the speaker wire on
the radio. Did the radios in our cars get installed by the factory in
Germany or did the dealer install them after they got over here? I can't
believe the factory would put the speakers in the doors unless they had
special door panels for the speakers. The dealer installing them in the door
would make more since.

Dennis