[T3] Whats is a Type 3 worth?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 22 06:35:17 PST 2012

On 22 Feb 2012 at 0:42, J. Jonik wrote:

> We're all potentially rich.    Not to mention what we've saved by not buying The Latest Models of this and that over the decades.   And, not mentioning the value of our labor keeping the things going.  Personal purchase prices for my cars over the years range from about $300 to zero.  They were/are cars, not investments.
>
> http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1971/Volkswagen/Type-3/2-Door-Sedan-Squareback-Wagon/Values
>
>         1971 Volkswagen Type 3
>     2 Door Sedan Squareback Wagon  Pricing
>
> (Don't know what "MSRP" means.)
>
> Original   MSRP      $2,599
> Low  Retail                  $4,550
> Average Retail        $8,700
> High Retail                 $14,000
> Higher                  $ the moon      (see below)

MSRP is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (list price.) The
prices above seem REALLY high to me. The prices you've spent are
clearly on the low side. I've spent between $75 and $4400 on each of
the ones I've bought, but most have been less than $2000. I once
helped a friend drive one off for free.

The cheaper they come, the more work and $$$ they take to make
servicable.

I think the thought of a $14,000 Type 3 is just a dream.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org